Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Journal Entry 2



Journal #2
22 August 2012

            I noticed that there seemed to be a lot more commentary than fact. But, that the commentary seemed to be based on certain facts that applied to the point. The facts seemed to back up the author and his statements. I noticed that the essay isn’t loaded with irrelevant facts and that it was one fact per paragraph or two. I enjoy this type of research writing because in school I was always taught to find as much research as you can and take all the facts you can from the materials and cram them into an essay at whatever page length the teacher required. This new writing style shows that one can use facts with writing but that there still needs to be the authors own knowledge in the text. It wasn’t an essay of short facts and quotes the essay was personable and a more realistic way of reading and writing. I enjoy this new writing style but it contradicts everything I had learned in school. I counted seven facts that Bruce Ballenger the author of “Theories of Intelligence” that may have been pulled from other sources and the rest of the text was the author’s personal accounts. I found it refreshing. I think that all research papers should be written similar to this and I think that this way of writing would cut down on plagiarism. Instead of a student being concerned on adding facts into their paper, I think they would absorb their information and be able to utilize it in a correct way.
Orbies the child’s toy
·         Where did they originate?
·         What is the molecular compound?
·         What are Orbies?
·         Why are they popular?
·         What age group finds them popular?
·         Are they actually harmful?
·         Have children died from Orbies?
·         What is the point of Orbies?
·         How do they retain the water?
·         Who invented them?
·         What happens if they are ingested?
·         My own personal accounts with Orbies?
·         Are they supposed to be disposable?
·         Do they ever shrink back down to original size?
·         Is this trend isolated to America?

No comments:

Post a Comment